Thursday, October 6, 2005

Happy Birthday Bo



(image placeholder)
It’s hard to believe that 12 years ago today, I was in the hospital in labor, bringing my son into the world.  Today is a day to look back and remember that day, but I am also looking forward to his future.

I know that my days with him are growing shorter.  He’s 12 now, almost a teenager, and then on to manhood.  I will lose him soon.  He’s already too old for mom to hug and kiss (unless no one else is around), he’d rather be running around with his friends than spending time with his family.  He’d rather be in his room listening to his music than watching television with his mom.  

His younger sisters don’t understand his need for space, for privacy, for independence.  I try to grant his need to have his own space, and yet find ways that he can play with his sisters so they don’t feel left out, neglected, ignored.  

He’s fighting desperately for his independence, (even if he doesn’t understand that’s what he’s doing) and I am trying to be fair, and yet hold on to my little boy just a little bit longer.  I think I’m losing that battle.  It’s one I will gladly lose in the end, if it just means he will appreciate the hard won independence as he grows up, if he will just understand and respect the rules and lessons I’ve tried to teach him.

I love you Bo.  Happy birthday.  I’m proud of you.

No comments: