Saturday, April 15, 2006

Hey Sis, Happy Birthday

Image hosting by Photobucket
Today, my baby sister, OK my only sister, turns 30. She is surprizingly ok, hell better than OK, she's totally jazzed about turning 30. Time to leave her 20's behind her. 1 Corinthians 13:11 says "When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things." (Only she can completely understand the full extent of the irony in me using a Bible verse in discussing her birthday). That's what's she's looking forward to doing, shedding her 'child' and becoming a woman, an adult.

Last year on her birthday she was feeling the dread of her last year of her 20's. She was totally dreading this birthday. The upside was I was able to help lighten her mood, by pointing out she may be 1 year from 30, I was 3 years from 40 and she declared that I had, in fact, trumped her in the suckage department.

She has done amazing things in her life, with her life, and will, no doubt continue to do amazing things. She is an amazing person, but she always has been, from the get go. She will change the world, even if it doesn't want to change. She is fun, she is a light, a joy, she is energy personified, she is wise beyond her years. Even though we are sometimes so polar opposite anyone would have a hard time believing we even know each other let along that we share DNA, she is still my go to person when I need hardcore, truth and honesty. I count on her opinion more than I let on.

There are many people out there who love her, and count themselves blessed to consider her a friend. I am even more blessed, I can count her as a friend and my sister.

Oh, don't get me wrong, she is not up for sainthood. That would be the day. She has done great and wonderous things. She has also done great and wonderously stupid things, but who among us hasn't?

I love her, my kids think she's the bomb, and she thinks they are too. She gets my kids in ways I don't but they know that they can tell Aunt S anything, because she's been there, done that, got the tee shirt and a great story out of it.

Happy Birthday sis, I stand in awe of you. I love you

1 comment:

mamakohl said...

Awwww, thanks!