Friday, April 21, 2006

Kids are smart, I'm smarter

Ok, it’s a given, my kids are smart.  Sometimes they think they are smarter than they actually are.

Take this morning for instance.  Tate has a Sing-off coming up at school next month.  Her class is singing a song from High School Musical, so she borrowed a CD from a friend so she could learn the song.

This morning as we were getting ready for work and school, the tears started.  I just assumed it was because she didn’t like the clothes she had to wear to her dad’s this weekend.  That is the usual cause of tears for her.  

Nope, this time, it was because she had lost the ‘book’ from the CD with all the words to the songs in it.  She swore up and down that the last time she had it was in her room, on her bed.  And thus began the hunt for the CD cover.

Now, as I have mentioned before, the girls’ room is an accident waiting to happen, it is a death trap.  Whatever happens to go into that room somehow gets sucked into some kind of vortex and disappears (or manages to get lost under the bed or the clothes or any of the other crap on the floor).  I’ve been after them for 2 weeks to clean it up, and they will spend HOURS in their room, but you can’t tell it’s been cleaned at all.

The girls thought, this is cool!  We’ll ‘lose’ something in our room, and we’ll get mom to help look for it and in the process, mom will clean the room.  Ta-da!  Clean room and we got mom to do it!  Oh contraire Mon friar, I may have been born at night, but it wasn’t last night. I’m wise to your games.  They were right, in the process of hunting for her friends’ CD cover I did in fact start cleaning their room.  What they weren’t counting on was Mom cleaning their room with a trash bag.  Whatever I could lay my hands on (with the exception of books and clothes) went in the trash bag.  I not only cleaned, I cleaned out.

You’ve got to get up pretty early to fool me.

PS: the CD cover was in the kitchen all along.

No comments: