Monday, March 27, 2006

Look what can happen in a year

Amazing how much can happen in a year.  This weekend Boo was sharing with me that last year, April, he left his home to come to Missouri for a job.  He left his mother, his friends, his girlfriend, packed his life in his vehicle and moved to a new state, to live and work with his older brother.  He spent the night before with his girlfriend, saying good-bye and making memories to hold them and survive the distance.  At 5:00 AM he got up and started driving.  He arrived in Missouri on April 3rd 2005 at 4:00 PM.

Flash forward 1 year.  The memories weren’t enough to bridge the distance, and the girlfriend has moved on, found someone new.  Boo has moved out of his brother’s house, into an apartment, and is doing great things, performing small miracles at work.  April 3rd, 2006 at 4:00 Boo will be signing papers and closing on his first house.  Amazing how much can change, and how far he’s come in a year.

A year ago I was still fighting to hold on to the second chance with my ex husband.  I still believed that he honestly wanted his family back and wanted a second chance to make things work.  But the light was dawning and reality was slowly creeping in and burning away the fog that had caused me to believe a second chance was viable.  

I’ve finally put my past behind me. I’ve finally reached a place in my life where my ex is only on the fringes of my life, and that’s where he needs to be.  I’ve gotten him out of my heart, out of my life.  Well, maybe that’s a bit delusional.  He’s still kind of obsessed with my love life, but I can’t stop that.  That’s his issue, and I am resigned to the fact that I’m going to have to spend the rest of my life cleaning up the messes he creates in my life, doing damage control, and protecting those that I love.  I hate that fact, but when you’re dealing with someone who has a less than firm grip on reality, it’s a price you have to pay.

This year, I’m with an amazing man.  He’s funny, smart, sexy, loving, caring, responsible, and he makes me deliriously happy.  He’s not jealous, or controlling, he’s trusting and respectful, and polite.  My life is everything I’ve always wanted, but never thought I’d have.  I’ve seen my dreams come true.  Not all of them, but some of them, and there is hope for a bright, happy future.  

Look where we were a year ago.  We didn’t even know the other existed.  Now, we’ve been together almost 4 months, 4 glorious, wonderfully happy months.  Where will we be in a year?  I can’t wait to find out.

No comments: