Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I think he's a keeper

BK gets off work at 3:30, a full hour and a half earlier than I do. So, he picks my girls up from the sitter every night, because he’s off work earlier and he’s closer to the sitter. He then goes to pick up his kids and meets me back home when I get off work. Big tremendous help.

Last night, I came home to BK and 5 kids, dinner in the oven with 10 minutes to go. The girls’ room was spotless, beds made, toys and clothes put away. All of the laundry was done (washed/dried/folded and put away). All of the dishes were done too. He served dinner, and did all of the dishes afterwards too. All that was expected of me last night was to come home, relax and let him do everything.

All of this without my asking, begging, or pleading or nagging. This is just how he is, what he does. I don’t know what to do about it. I feel guilty about letting him do all of this, but he chooses to do this. All I could do last night was smile and say thank you, repeatedly.

We’ve talked about our future. We’ve both been married twice before, and neither of us are really in a hurry to rush down the isle again, if at all. And yet, we both think “This one might be The One”. He gets it, he gets me. He knows that the kids come first, his and mine. He knows that my girls have seen a lot and been through a lot and he’s sensitive to that. He knows they need time to adjust, and he’s giving them that time. He’s not pushing or rushing anything. His kids have accepted me with open arms and open hearts. Our families are blending into one family and it’s nice.

He is working 6 days a week, 12 hour days, just to make extra money so that we can get a place big enough for all 7 of us. It is no longer a matter of if we move in together, it’s now just a matter of when.

When a problem arises, big or small, he insists we talk about it, right then, and talk it out until it’s resolved and we both feel better. He listens to me, and he hears me. He won’t let me shut him out or push him away. He is honest about everything, we talk about everything. He knows what it takes to make a relationship work and work well, and he’s determined to make this one work and do whatever it takes to make sure it does. He stands beside me and faces everything with me, allowing me to fight my own fights, but makes his support quietly known.

He loves me, and I don’t question that, I don’t doubt it. My feelings for him never waiver or falter. I feel safe and secure with him. He’s not only good to me, he’s good to the kids. Together we have 5 kids, and yet with him it’s easy, it’s family.

Just when I had given up and stopped looking and never hoped to find what I’d been looking for, I found it.

1 comment:

~Melissa Mullinax said...

((Squeeze)) :)