Friday, September 8, 2006

Just around the corner

It's just around the corner. I have already seen a glimpse of it. I know it can't be too far away. And yet, I know from years past, it could be elusive and deceptive and run and hide. But I know it's coming. Have you felt it? Can you smell it?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yep! Autumn is just around the corner. In fact, I have turned off my AC at home, and have my windows open, just a crack. I sleep at night with windows open, fan blowing and I know I am just a few feet shy of heaven.

I actually dug out a long sleeve sweater the other day and wore it to work. I loved it. I love the cool crispness in the air. I love the cool mornings, and warm afternoons. The kids are back in school and getting back into the routine of things.

I love that the oppressive heat and humidity has gone. I can breathe again. I love the look of the fog rolling down the river every morning. (hate driving through it, but love the look of it from a distance)

The days of summer are coming to an end. Autumn has always been about new beginnings, almost like a second 'New Year'. The kids get new shoes, new clothes, back to school with new back packs, and new school supplies. Time to catch up with friends they lost touch with over the summer and make new friends. It's a chance to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. Yes, I am a dork. I love nothing more than a brand new notebook with nothing in it, and a new pen. There is just so many possibilities waiting, promises or hopes and dreams of the next American novel, or at least a teenage diary filled with tears and laughter.

Soon, the leaves will turn, and the kids will start thinking about Halloween. Pools are closed now, swimsuits are put away, never to be worn again. Kids come home from a bike ride with rosey cheeks. Sweaters and sweatshirts worn with shorts, nothing could be sweeter.

I have seen hints of it, I can smell it in the air, I can feel it, waiting, calling, just around the corner.

No comments: