Monday, December 5, 2005

We are moved

We are moved, across the hall, to the new place.  That means, aside from a few stray boxes I have to get tonight, everything that was in apartment C is now in Apartment D (if it didn’t get dumped in the trash).

The bathroom had been over-run with mold from the pipes leaking in the wall.  The ceiling was molding, mildew, caving in, about to fall. Every time the neighbors above us took a shower, it rained in our bathroom.  I had sheets of plastic nailed to the walls and ceiling to funnel the downpour into the tub so that our floor didn’t flood every night, and to eliminate the surprise shower while sitting on the throne.  It was nasty, sickening, and unhealthy to say the least.  

I didn’t realize the extent of the mold problem until the furniture came out and things got moved around, and I actually got to walls and carpet in all the rooms of the apartment.   I knew there was mold in the ceiling of my room and in the carpet, it was on my furniture, (we had to actually throw away a table, it was so far gone, lost to the mold and mildew).  Once the furniture came out, I could see it was on the walls, on the backs of my furniture, it was taking over everything.  On the backs of pictures, nick-nacks that were sitting on shelves were losing the battle to the black plague that was taking over everything.

The nasty mold was in the girls’ room, it was even in Bo’s room.  Every where we looked, there it was.  It was behind dressers, behind beds, hidden in closets, behind toy boxes.  The more we moved out, the more we dug out, the more mold we found.  It was in the air, you could smell it, it had invaded and taken it.  It was everywhere.  I began to realize I had been fighting a losing battle.  I could never get that apartment clean, because the mold was growing faster and pervading everything faster than I could chase it.

I took pictures as we moved, it was unbelievable.  You could never believe what I saw unless you saw it too.  The mold was growing, out of my carpet under my dresser.  GROWING!  Like a plant.  This was a living breeding growing THING that had taken over.

The more we disturbed it, the more we uncovered, when it became air-borne, the longer I spent over there in that apartment, the sicker I got.  I got congested, I started coughing, I couldn’t breathe, I was getting sicker and sicker as the day wore on.  It just makes me ill to realize I lived in that, lived with it, and allowed my children to live there with that too.

I am glad to be out of there.  The saga is not over, there may still have to be some sort of legal action taken on my part because I had made several complaints and the problem was ignored, or at best, just cosmetically fixed.  No good there.  

Pictures will follow later this week.

We are in a better place now.

No comments: