Monday, May 8, 2006

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

Thanks to M, I have a new favorite website. ILP is a wonderful place to see other photographers work, get advice, learn new things, get help, share information and make friends with child photographers across the country.

So, today I’m hanging out there for a minute or two and happen to check out a post by one of the girls there about a photoshoot she did for NILMDTS (Now I lay me down to Sleep).  

I wasn’t sure what it was exactly, so I checked out their website and found myself moved beyond words and struggling to hold back the tears.  NILMDTS is a non-profit organization that provides photography services to parents who are experiencing an early infant loss.  “This is the place where NOW I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP gently provides a helping hand and a healing heart. NOW offers a vital service to our community. For families overcome by grief and pain, the idea of photographing their baby may not immediately occur to them. Offering gentle and beautiful photography and videography services in a compassionate and sensitive manner is the heart of this organization. The soft, gentle heirloom photographs of these beautiful babies are an important part of the healing process. They allow families to honor and cherish their babies, and share the spirits of their lives.”

I have had family members experience a loss as profound as this, and I know that they did get pictures, although I’m not sure they were professional pictures.  I can not imagine the grief and the pain felt at that loss, but I can imagine the relief it would to have pictures of a tiny little loved one from the short time they spent here on Earth.

If you have time and would like to see some very beautiful, very moving photographs of some very tender moments, go check out their website.  It’s to beautiful to describe.

No comments: