Monday, November 14, 2005

Things I did this weekend


The girls and I rented ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’. WONDERFUL. I absolutely loved the Gene Wilder version of this movie. That is, until I saw Johnny Depp as Willie Wonka. This new release just rocks! The girls loved it too.

Spent Saturday afternoon watching Newt and Tate play with Stealth and Duck. Mom and I were talking that it warms all of our hearts (hers, mine and Sis’s) that the cousins get to see each other all the time. And by all the time I mean a whole LOT more than the twice yearly I saw my cousins. There is none of the awkward ‘getting to know you again’ tension when they first see each other. They are a part of each other’s lives enough that they KNOW each other, really know each other.

Friday night knucklehead called and asked if it would be ok if he came over for short visit. 'I know the girls have stuff for me for Halloween, can I come see them and get it?' So he came over, saw the girls, saw Newt's hole from her missing tooth, got his Halloween goodies and then had to leave. (it was 9:00, bedtime for girls) I walked him out to the car and said 'Thanks for coming to see them, they miss you.' His answer? 'I'm pretty sure I'm came over to see all 3 of you, not just them. I've missed you.' (yes, it's mushy, but it's sweet and it makes me smile.)

Went grocery shopping and bought staples to make lasagna, chili, beef stew, corn bread, baked potatoes, all of my cold weather favorites. Got home, and put the goodies away and felt really good that I had money still in my pocket, and my cabinets and freezer are both full of food. Warm food, for cold weather. YEAH!

The girls and I found the floor, the tops of their dressers, and their beds in their room this weekend. Translated for those of you without kids, we cleaned their room and got all the toys, clothes, books and shoes put away. Now they can play in their room instead of dragging their stuff out to the living room and leaving it there.

Cleaned my apartment. Not just picked up the clutter, but really cleaned. Dusted all the furniture, vacuumed every room, did all the laundry, all the dishes, put all the clean dishes away, found my kitchen table again and my counter tops.

Found ‘Grease’ on DVD at Wal-Mart for less than $10. I had made a promise to Tate that if we ever found it on DVD I’d buy it for them (it’s her favorite musical). So, we spent Sunday afternoon, after all the shopping, and cleaning was done, watching Grease. (And Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for the 4th time)

It was a wonderful autumn weekend. Blustery weather outside, cold wet rain, winds blowing, cinnamon apple and pumpkin spice candles burning inside all the sights and smells of autumn, closing in on winter. Curled up on the couch and read a book, enjoying the goodness of my life. I have food, I have a small bit of money, I have children who light up my life, I have my knucklehead back in my life. I have been breakdown free for a month now, which is a good thing, a very good thing. I spent my weekend reaping the rewards of a lot of hard personal growth this year.



No comments: