Thursday, November 23, 2006

Making New Friends

Can I just say that sometimes when you reach out to people, you sometimes find they will reach back to you? And that my friends, is a great feeling.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, my life has been void of girlfriends. I don't have many close friends at all. Everything in my life (save my family) is always temporary. (Ah, maybe I am the one with the problem with committment....something to ponder) My jobs, my friends, my boyfriends (lovers? Ack, what word to use? BF sounds so Jr High, and Lover sounds, well, kind of ridiculous, at least when it pertains to me. Anyway) just about everything.

So, lately, I have found myself at a temp gig that requires little to no real work effort from me at all. I answer the phones all day, and open the mail when it arrives. That's about it. That leaves me with a LOT of free time on my hands. (free time, that, I might mention, I am getting paid for. I don't bitch.) To occupy my mind, and entertain myself, I spend a lot of time surfing the web. Not the whole web, but Blogs specifically. And in my cruising around Blogland Central, I have come across some really cool cats and have marked their little corners of the universe on my map. I got back and visit often.

These people are talented (whether they know it, or admit it or not) and they always touch me with a laugh my ass off funny story, or with something truly profound and meaningful. They tell stories that I just GET, and some times their point of view or opinions are so completely different from mine, it's nice to get a different perspective on things.

I made a decision this past week, that while I'm stopping by these little haunts on a daily basis, I might should want to leave a little note, to tell them, HI! Just wanted to introduce myself. I love what you've done with the place, and really enjoy your little corner of the universe. Come by and visit me, if you ever get the chance (or your bored, or you want to feel better about your life....ya know).

I have been pleasantly surprised that when I leave a little note, for the most part, most of them respond in kind. Sending me an email in return, thanking me for my visit, and then coming by to check out my place. (Oh, that reminds me, I better straighten the place up, especially if I'm going to be having more and more company. Oh, and better stock up on coffee, soda, and Margaritta mix. Chips and salsa would be good too....)

So, as I find new places I like to visit, and after asking permission, of course, I add their Blog address to my list on the side of my blog, and I am finding that my circle of 'friends' is expanding. They put a link to my blog on theirs, so their friends stop by, and well, if they would be so kind as to leave me nice little note, I would return the favor and visit them, and of course, add their link to my blog too.

I am loving this. I am spreading my wings, and meeting new people, and thanks to the internet, they don't have to live right next door. I am making new friends, my email in box is never empty (and NO, it's not full of spam...sheesh) and every day is like Christmas, "Who's going to stop by today and leave me a nice little Hey! in my in-box?"

So, WELCOME all my new friends, and friends of my new friends. Grab a drink of your choice, a snack, and pull up a chair, get comfortable and lets visit for a while. It's really nice to meet you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, just found your blog and thought I'd say hi. Happy Thanksgiving!

B.R.M said...

I am glad you found me too! And I am glad we are becoming friends.

Love,

Tennessee Becky